Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Maybe I Was Wrong

In an earlier post, I cautioned against trying new things when you have already found something you really like (which is also great relationship advice!). My boyfriend and I had previously had a less than satisfactory experience trying new dishes at Ecco, one of our fav dinner spots. After the first bite we instantly wished we had ordered our old faithfuls. During a more recent dinning experience at Ecco, my theory was proved wrong, or at least partially wrong. Sometimes trying new things can be good. Who knew?

 We had consumed a lot of red meat as well as a good amount of seafood in the days prior and wanted something different. I ordered Roasted White Oak Pastures chicken and my boyfriend ordered Grilled Coho salmon. Chicken and salmon in general sound a bit boring to me, so we weren't expecting much. Oh how we were surprised!

The chicken skin was so crispy, the inside so juicy, and the sauce was light and fresh with mint and radishes as garnish. I finished the entire thing and just barely restrained myself from licking the bones.


The salmon was equally impressive. It had the smokey flavors of grilled red meat but the texture was light and flaky. And who doesn't like a dish that comes with roasted chanterelles and a potato puree (aka mushrooms and mashed potatoes)?


Lesson learned. Here is my revised advice on venturing to unfamiliar plates:

If you are going out with a good friend or significant other and generally share your entrees like we do, tyring new things is best done half-way. Meaning one of you order the go-to dish you know is fantastic, and the other one tries a new dish. Next time just switch up who orders the new one. It's less risky and you just might find a new favorite that way.

Oh, and the wine was great too. We sipped on a 2007 Más de Leda Tempranillo. It was an easily-drinkable medium bodied wine with dark dried fruit on the finish that paired well with both the chicken and the salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment