Tuesday, December 11, 2012

No more chocolate for me...

Being a self-proclaimed wino, I've been to several wine tastings in my life. Restaurants and wineries alike often serve chocolate as a wine pairing. I've always been hesitant in eating chocolates with my vino. It coats your mouth with a sugary wax and robs your palate of the full flavor of the wine. I used to think... these wine professionals must know what they are doing, I must be missing the bigger picture, maybe my palate is not developed enough. So I would pop that waxy desert in my mouth and wash it down with the burgundy blood of life.... until I recently came across this quote that changed my life.

"I don't know who came up with the idea of pairing chocolate with Cabernet Sauvignon. Perhaps it was the same lunatic who gave us 'surf and turf.' All I know is that chocolate and Cabernet are about as compatible as Dick Cheney and Lady Gaga. The bitter sweetness in one obliterates all the nuanced fruit in the other, leaving one with a dry, dusty palate. So please, please, no more pig-outs with Chateau Margaux and Hershey's Kisses." - Randy Sheahan, Quarterly Review of Wines - 2010


Yes, that's right, I will now feel completely assured in my choice to no longer accept chocolate with my wine.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment