Monday, June 18, 2012

I Didn't Even Miss The Bread

I invited some lady friends over for dinner this weekend. Since one of them has a gluten allergy, I got to experience cooking my first entirely gluten-free meal. I've had gluten-free food before, but never planned a whole dinner like this. I headed to Whole Foods since they have the most anti-gluten options, as well as stellar fresh veggies and meat.






The meal started out with "Mary's Gone Crackers" with aged white cheddar and a array of delicious olives. These crackers, made with brown rice, quinoa, flax seed, and sesame seed were crispy and tasty - just like crackers should be.




For the second course we had a simple fresh salad of mixed greens, carrots, cucumber, and radish. I whipped up my favorite from-scratch-dressing of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, and brown mustard.

Our main meal included "De Boles" gluten-free multi-grain penne, baked chicken breast, and a variety of colorful veggies: broccoli, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, and spinach. After we mixed everything together in one pot, it was seasoned with a pinch of salt, tons of cracked pepper, red chili flakes, and oregano. Each plate was then topped freshly shaved parmigiano-reggiano.







Gluten-free pasta definitely tastes different than ordinary pasta. But the difference is not a negative one. I quite enjoyed it. I was pleased and impressed to have eaten such a yummy meal that I didn't even miss the bread!

For tasty gluten-free reciepes visit Why Me? Gluten-Free.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hooo!! It was an awesome meal, thanks so much Bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of making this tonight! :)

    It was great when you cooked it, & I hope I can do it justice.

    ReplyDelete